On both coasts, Disney Parks have become a bit of a festival destination in recent years, and Epcot International Festival of the Arts at Walt Disney World is no exception. This fairly new event made its debut in 2017 and celebrates art across all disciplines, including fine arts, performing arts, and culinary arts (our favorite!).
You can absorb exhibits that celebrate everything from classic Disney works of art, listen to world-class vocalists bring to life beloved stories from the Disney on Broadway series, and devour dishes that are as beautiful as they are tasty.
In the age of social media, this particular festival seems to appeal most to those looking to document and share their #ArtfulEpcot experience (this hashtag is encouraged!).
Want to know why you shouldn’t skip this short-but-sweet festival?
- There is so much to SEE. This festival is a feast for the eyes. The food, art, and entertainment almost result in sensory overload. There’s a loaded schedule of notable Disney artists displaying (and selling) exclusive artwork–all of whom have the time to chat and give additional insight into their masterpieces. It’s a rare opportunity to see (and collect) unique pieces and meet your favorite creators…or discover a new one along the way. This event also allows for great people watching, but in the least creepy way possible. If participating in demonstrations and experiences isn’t for you, you can still look on as other guests create their own unique keepsakes or as variety acts take the stage.
- There is so much to DO. For once, this may be where the bulk of the festival resides. We don’t think an arts festival without the opportunity to interact with your surroundings. Want something to do as a family? Pick up “Figment’s Brush with the Masters Scavenger Hunt” (6.99) to find Figment throughout the World Showcase…or hunt for chalk drawings of Disney characters (no cost) in the new to 2020 “Chalk Full of Character” hunt. You can grab a pot of paint and contribute to a giant mural in World Showcase Plaza or (for an additional fee) find out more about art through seminars and workshops.
- You can even become part of the art by inserting yourself into fun photo ops throughout the park.
- Always wanted to learn how to draw a character? Stop by America for a quick character workshop during the day. New this year are Artistic Talent Group ‘Pop-Ups’ where you can design your own silk scarf, ride a bicycle to power your spin-art, and Arribas Brothers DIY glass art!
- There is so much to HEAR. You can catch your favorite musicals in snippets by checking out the Disney on Broadway series. If the talents from each country is more your thing, there are incredible vocalists and musicians from ‘around the world’ to entertain you while you eat and drink to your heart’s content.
- There is so much to TASTE. Challenge the inner-foodie within you! Whether or not you have an adventurous palate, there’s no denying that this is the time of year the food looks the most beautiful and tempting. This festival pushes the envelope a little with its flavors–but there are some dishes and drinks we wish Disney would keep year ’round.
Running until February 24th this year, Epcot International Festival of the Arts continues to improve and grow with each passing year. It’s already hard to imagine this season without thinking of all the art on exhibit and the colorful experiences to be had.
If you think that there isn’t much to gain from this festival, you’re sorely mistaken–you’ll be surprised with what you find.